Treatments for Silverfish
Are you having a silverfish problem in your home? If you need an affordable silverfish control treatment we can help. Pro Pest Control Gold Coast provides a range of eco friendly treatment for silverfish. Contact our trained and experienced pest technicians.
Silverfish are not fish themselves, but instead they have a silvery and also fish like shape. They have also been called ‘bristletails’ with their three long bristle-like appendages on the end of the body. If you don’t want these Silverfish swimming around your home and causing you trouble, here is everything you need to know about them.
What Are Silverfish?
Silverfish are small, wingless insects with tapering tails and antennae. They are silver in color and move in a wiggle like a fish. Mostly nocturnal, they prefer dark, humid spaces.
These fish like insects are surprisingly beautiful to look at, but that doesn’t mean that they are not pests at all. They are found in the moist and humid areas of your home and will often try to hide their presence from humans. They are able to run quickly and scuttle into various places, and you will be able to see them in places like basements and attics. If it is a humid or wet environment, then you will more than likely find them there.
Types Of Silverfish
Four Lined Silverfish (Ctenolepisma quadriseriata)
The four black lines running down the back of this silverfish certainly makes it easy to see. It is half an inch long and likes being in warmer temperatures than the common silverfish. They will be found in high humidity areas that also have access to cellulose for a food source.
Giant Silverfish (Ctenolepisma Longicaudata)
This giant silverfish ranges in size from three quarters of an inch to one inch in length. They typically have a grey color rather than having a silvery sheen than other silverfish. It also prefers hotter temperatures, high humidity, and cellulose as a food source.
Firebrat (Thermobia Domestica)
This silverfish is one of the darkest of the four types of the silverfish, with colors that tend to go from moderate to a very dark gray. They like to live in really hot areas, including furnaces and boilers, especially if you have a moist area there.
Do silverfish bite?
While silverfish do not bite, they are destructive because of their diet. Silverfish thrive in moist, undisturbed areas with a source of food containing starches and dextrin. Items, such as book-bindings, wallpaper, photos and carpeting, all have adhesives which are sources of food, especially in humid areas. These little insects can be quite damaging to tapestries and linens.
Do silverfish spread disease?
They do not spread disease but can contaminate food. Also, they can go a year without eating if no food source is available or they will eat alternate items such as synthetic fabric.
Silverfish Control Tips
Even though they don’t spread disease, they can be, surprisingly, quite damaging. They do have natural predators like spiders and house centipedes, however, the most common control method is the use of insecticides, since most people are not keen on the idea of spreading centipedes and spiders around their houses.
- Take a look at the dark, hot, and moist areas in your home and inspect them for feeding marks of the silverfish. If the infestation is widespread throughout these areas, you need to take a look at all of these items that are stored at your home’s exterior.
- Silverfish are climbers, so they will climb up anything to get into your home. Clean and inspect these places, and check for the signs of silverfish.
- You can also use a dehumidifier to make the area less appealing to the silverfish as well.
Why Choose Us
- Australian Environmental Pest Managers Association Members
- Queensland Health Licensed Pest Technicians PMT
- $20 Million Public Liability Insured
- Local Gold Coast Business
- Eco-friendly Silverfish Control Treatments
- 12 month warranty
- Fully licensed Pest Experts
- We Turn up on time, every time.
- Experienced Professionals
- 100% Customer Satisfaction is Our Priority
- Fast and Reliable Exterminators
- 20 Years of Experience in Pest Control Industry
- Free Quotations
- Silverfish Removal
- Silverfish Treatments just $330
Gold Coast Locations
- Northern Gold Coast – Ormeau, Pimpama, Coomera, Oxenford, Pacific Pines, Southport, Nerang, Helensvale, Arundel
- Southern Gold Coast Burleigh Heads, Broadbeach, Varsity Lakes, Palm Beach, Currumbin Waters
- Tweed Heads and Coolangatta
- Tweed Heads and Coolangatta
- Northern NSW
- Brisbane, Ipswich, Toowoomba
Get a Quote
Request a free quote today from Pro Pest Control Gold Coast.
We also provide free cedar balls for helping control silverfish and moths.
Phone us on 07 5515 0220.